Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Really not much time to work on Samba this week. So I didn't get around to really debug the failing echo test for quite a while. Then tridge pointed out that I was trying to use a connected UDP socket as if it was not connected, and things started to work like a charm. It doesn't look like I'll have much more time during week 47. Hopefully I will get around to clean up the patches and push my example anyway.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
A bit late, as usual, but I finally have something productive again. I've got a Samba4 UDP echo server and async client library (including torture test suite), and they're almost working. :) I'm saying almost because I can only get it to work manually right now, not from "make test". I'm sure it's some small thing I'm missing, I'm expecting this to be fixed soon. The code also still lacks some explanatory comments, but should be ready for the mainline for the week 46 report. The client library and torture test also runs against netcat, so two "implementations" of echo servers are supported for sure. ;)
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
I usually hate it when real life stops me from coding, but in this case I had a really fun weekend off the computer. The downside is that the echo server still is not done. So not much happening on the Samba 4 front from my side. One related news item though is the release of a new version of the Yocto Project. Quoting from their website:
The Yocto Project™ is an open source collaboration project that provides templates, tools and methods to help you create custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the hardware architecture.Based on OpenEmbedded, one of it's supported platforms is the Beagle board. This looks like a pretty good platform to play with to get a bunch of embedded Samba images to work. This goes straight on my todo list, as if that wasn't pretty full already. Still, maybe a nice setup to demo at the next SambaXP conference. So, that's it with this week's installment of my Samba 4 blog post. Unless real life happens again, maybe next week I can show the world how a well-designed Samba 4 task looks like.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Last week, I didn't really get to spend much time on Samba 4. About the only thing I managed was working on a patch that renamed the s4 "net" binary to "samba-tool" while at the GSoC Mentor Summit 2010 with Jelmer. The rename reduces the number of executables with the same name in s3 and s4, getting us a step closer to a fully merged build. Renaming the s4 net tool hopefully inconveniences less admins out there. If you've been bitten by this, sorry about that. That's all there is for now for this week. With any luck, next week's post will be a bit longer.